It’s been a crazy 3 months since the initial release of End Space! The game has been so well received it has been on the Top Selling list on Oculus Home every week since launch. It’s had a ton of great reviews, and every day I get emails from people saying how much they enjoy playing the game.
The success of End Space has enabled me to start a company, Orange Bridge Studios, along with my brother Lee, the man behind VR Dev School. For the last 3 months we have been learning the ropes of starting a company, working on End Space full time, and trying to get outside to see the sun.
Now we are ready to release End Space 1.1. This is a foundational update to improve performance, fix issues, improve the visual quality of the game, and most importantly open up the game to a larger audience with the introduction of Touchpad Flight mode. Read on below to see what’s new….
- Introducing Touchpad Flight mode. Play End Space without the use of a gamepad. Use the Touchpad on the side of the Gear VR to control your ship. Requires standing or swivel chair to play.
- Gamepads are now optional. Start the game with a gamepad connected to use the Gamepad Flight mode. If no gamepad is connected, Touchpad Flight mode will be selected by default.
- Gamepad Comfort mode. Enable “Look to Fly” in the Options menu to fly using your head instead of the thumb pads. This is a much more comfortable option for most people. Requires standing or swivel chair to play.
- New detailed player cockpit thanks to the talented Lee Souder.
- Warp In and Warp Out. Every level starts with a warp into the level and after a successful mission you must align to the Navigation Beacon and warp out.
- Explore the space station by teleporting around. (Next major update will expand on this feature along with the introduction of a new storyline)
- Explosions are more explosive. Boom!
- Weapon characteristics are now more distinct.
- Pick your loadout by equipping unlocked weapons in the ‘Ammo Loadout’ and ‘Missile Loadout’ menus.
- Press X or Swipe Up to switch between your equipped Primary Weapons.
- Press Y to switch between your equipped Secondary Weapons. Due to input limitations you cannot switch between Secondary Weapons in Touchpad Flight mode.
- Decreased level load times.
- Texture and shader improvements on many things.
- Resistance non-Capital Ship pilots will now eject into an escape pod when their ship explodes. Destroy the pods before they escape to earn extra credits.
- Everything is 80% smaller to reflect real world values. This increases the 3D effect as well.
- Small ship colliders are more accurate.
- Boost time is longer, faster, and recharges more quickly.
- Resistance Bombers now shoot EMP missiles.
- Missile locking improvements.
- Added 2 new Easter Eggs for you to discover.
- Lots of new gamepads supported. PS4 controller is still NOT supported. See the Support page for more details.
- Bluetooth headphones should work now (But still not recommended. Use wired headphones for best experience).
- Can no longer Pause the game while the Mission Complete or Game Over menu is open.
- Tonnes of performance enhancements.
- Several new sound effects.
- Sound effect volume adjustments.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the new update so feel free to leave a comment below. If you’ve found any bugs or have suggestions head over to the Support page and send us an email.
Haven’t tried End Space yet? Buy it from Oculus Home HERE.